We say this with affection, but here goes our recipe for the spicy, bitter “Mother-in-Law”!
Ingredients (makes one small serving)
1 large carrot
1 bitter melon/carille
2 medium onions
3 Scotch bonnet peppers (yes, the spicier the better!)
10 leaves of bhandaniya/chadon beni
Juice of 2-3 limes
- Dice the daikon/moorai and carrot into small cubes.
- Scoop out the innards of the bitter melon/caraille and finely chop.
- Slice onions into half rings, and finely chop bhandaniya and scotch bonnet peppers.
- Use gloves for chopping the peppers for safety.
- In a bowl, add lime juice and salt to chopped ingredients and mix.
- Serve alongside any rich dish such as a curry or fried chicken.