Try this delicious Caribbean recipe, and discover a fresh and light dish full of complex flavours and textures.
2 lionfish fillets
Pepper (to taste)
Few knobs of butter
2 garlic gloves
2 half-ripe mangoes
1 small onion
1 each red and green bell pepper
Olive oil as garnish
Slice of watermelon
1/2 tbs wine vinegar Cilantro/Culantro/Chadon Beni
- Cut 2 lionfish filets into rectangular chunks using the thickest part of the filet. Or the filet can be rolled together so as not to waste the fish, pinned with a toothpick.
- Place in a bath of lime juice, prepared green Caribbean seasoning, salt and pepper to taste for 15 minutes. Remove. Drain.
- Sear quickly in garlic butter on all sides. Lionfish will cook fast so do not overcook. Serve on mango salsa with a garnish of watermelon mash.
- Using 2 not too ripe mangoes, grate into a bowl with ¼ hot pepper, deseeded and chopped finely. Add fine slivers of ½ each red and yellow sweet peppers, 1 small onion (1 clove garlic optional).
- Add 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro.
- Drizzle with olive oil, lime juice, salt and black pepper. Allow to sit for 30 mins. Optional: Add finely seasoned cubed avocado if available.
- Blend ½ cup watermelon, ½ tablespoon wine vinegar, 1 heaped teaspoon honey, salt to taste.