These quick and easy, freshly baked coconut bake biscuits are a twist on regular buttermilk biscuits. For an added Caribbean flair, coconut is added to the batter to create a nutty, buttery, flaky biscuit. Great for BLT sandwiches or on their own with honey and butter too. You can even try them as topping for casseroles and pies, they’re that good!
4 cups of flour
1/4 cup baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup grated market cheese
1 cup grated coconut
2 cups coconut milk
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp melted lard
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix evenly.
- Add melted butter and lard to dry ingredients.
- Slowly add coconut milk and mix together until all ingredients are combined.
- Rest in refrigerator for 30 mins.
- On a floured surface place dough and lightly flour the top of the dough.
- Pat down and shape dough into a rectangle about 1 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut circles using a glass or pastry circle to 2 to 3 inches.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet and place rounds on sheet with enough room for rising.
- Rest for 5 mins at room temperature.
- Make an egg wash with two eggs and a bit of water.
- Brush the tops of the rounds with egg wash.
- Bake for 9 mins at 350 F; then broil for two minutes or until biscuits are desired brown colour.